Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Gelato Shop | Bangkok, Thailand


The moon was rising as we stepped off the swaying boat docked at the Sathorn pier in Bangkok, Thailand, just a short three minute walk from our room at the Centre Point Silom. I wasn't quite ready to turn in for the night, but I could feel the fatigue creeping up on me and my sandaled feet were getting sore. We'd done a lot of walking in the past three days, even for us, so used to not having a vehicle for the past eight months. The river market had been a fun attraction, but we had regretted going for the second night in a row. It was our last night in Bangkok and I'd wanted it to be more memorable than this.

Walking back to our hotel, opposite a main road, we came upon a gelato shop, brightly lit with big sparkling windows and laughter coming from inside. It was a stark contrast to the darkness of the streets. We were lured in by the cool A/C and promise of sweet dessert. At the gelato freezer I stared at the assortment of flavors. This was certainly not on my typical diet of fresh ingredients and no dairy, but we were in Bangkok and that was reason enough. The Thai woman behind the counter offered me a sample. I had a question, I don't recall it now, but she didn't quite understand my English and called for her husband, who was certainly not Thai.

A tall man with a kind face came over and addressed me in a thick Austrian accent. So thick that I had trouble understanding him, but we chatted for a moment as I decided on what flavor to have scooped into a waffle cone for my enjoyment. I strained to hear him over the counter as loud laughter erupted for a second time and I watched the mild grimace on the shop owner's face. "They've been here since six. It's a birthday party." He said, smiling again, only slightly annoyed that the guests had been there over four hours, visiting, but seeming to enjoy it all the same. It certainly seemed like the crowd was having a good time in the bright cafe. The owner came around the counter as his wife handed me my gelato cone.

We continued to chat for a bit as he told me about his shop and asked where we were from and what we had planned in Bangkok. We found out that in addition to his gelato shop in Bangkok, he also worked in jewelry and traveled throughout Asia and the US for meetings and shows. Before we departed, I introduced myself, shaking his hand, and asked his name. "Wolfgang" he said in his thick accent, so thick that I had to have him repeat his name several times. We left the shop smiling, licking our desserts as they quickly began to melt in the sticky Bangkok heat, another roar of laughter following us out of the door.

Wolfgang. A jeweler and gelato shop owner in Bangkok. How very interesting.

This is why we take the path less traveled, to meet interesting individuals along the way and experience something different than what the typical tourist might.

You can visit Wolfgang and enjoy delicious gelato at Gelato Finale, adjacent to the Robinson Bangrak.

No comments:

Post a Comment