Thursday, September 1, 2016

Why Solid Ground?

I'm terrified of flying. Did I ever tell you that?
Terrified as in, I get serious anxiety from the moment I have to select my seat on the plane when I book a ticket.

So yeah, it's only appropriate that my travel blog be named Solid Ground. Do you sense the irony?

In fact, it is general knowledge, in order to get anywhere (i.e. travel), flying is likely the easiest and fastest (and safest!) method of transportation. Did I mention this is a travel blog?

But I really like to keep my feet firmly planted. When my husband came home from work one day and said, "We need to talk, I'm heading to Korea." (Oh, by the way, he's military) I was devastated. Why? Being separated from him for an entire year was such a daunting and impossible task. When I found that I could move to Korea on my own dime, things were good again, until I Googled how to get to South Korea and, well...

Enter the 22+ hours of travel and the ahem, 14 hour flight over an ocean.

No. Freaking. Way.

(Side note: I promise, I really did know where South Korea was before using Google. I was born in the 90s, after all.)

But guys, I've done that trip three times now. I survived. Phew! Now fingers crossed that I can safely make it back to the land of milk and honey!

Not only do I enjoy not flying, I do enjoy being outside, adventuring, trying new foods and taking photos along the way. So that's really where the travel comes in. I hope that through the new experiences that I share here, I can encourage you to try new things, eat delicious new foods, and plan your next trip to a place unknown, and maybe even get on a plane!

I've learned that travel changes you. It forces you to broaden your outlook on life, stretch your personal space bubble, and allows you to learn about others who are different than you. And that's really not a bad thing.

So here's to travel and adventure. And as little flying as possible.

Welcome to Solid Ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment